BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

31 August 2009

pura vida!

I spent the past weekend about 2 or 3 hours (depends on traffic, I guess, and there was a lot of it) on the Pacific coast. My family visited my mom's brother and his wife, Carlos and Iris. They have three little fluffy dogs that kept us company all weekend. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't even find out that we were staying the whole weekend until I returned home from our last day of orientation. 


To spare you details, I did a lot of sitting and listening. I really tried to understand what they were saying, but they just talk too fast and I just don't know enough. However, I was able to understand bits and pieces about what they were telling me, especially Carlos, about the different parts of Costa Rica and its culture. Iris is a sweet woman, but I don't think she could understand my Spanish because of my terrible pronunciation and inability to finish my sentences (due to my lack of skill in conjugating). All in all, it was a nice trip and I am glad we went. I did get a sliiiiight tan, so that probably makes me 1% less noticeably white - but I know, I will forever be a gringa

The Pacific Ocean was beautiful, even though it was brown closest to the shore. There was mist and mountains in the distance - que linda! And then beyond the icky, rainy water (it was brown because the dirt is stirred up by the rain), there was blue water, just like we have in Massachusetts. It wasn't a beautiful, bright shade of turquoise, but the beach was small and hardly any one there - so I enjoyed the privacy. We didn't go swimming, but we did go swimming in the pool that's a part of the development/neighborhood that Carlos' house is in. 

I may not like all of the food here (rather, the toppings - cheese, mayonaise - all that great-tasting-but-terrible-for-you things), but I do like the fact that they like their vegetables (I'm still working on figuring out how to incorporate more fruits - my new favorite fruit is called a mamon chino - look it up, it's good stuff). I had a fabulous salad the other day - some lettuce topped with something called 'chirrichuri' (though i'm sure i got the spelling wrong...) - it's tomatoes, cilanthro, lime, and another thing or two - es muy rico! And I topped it off with guacamole-looking stuff from aguacates. And again, muy rico!

Sunday morning was MAD hot. You even think about moving around and you start to sweat. So we decided to go for a walk up and down the hilly neighborhood. During our little "camino," I took some photos (go figure!) 

Here is a link to my Flickr site so you can see los fotos de mi fin de semana:

0 thoughts: