Life is cyclical, you know. Yesterday as Amy and I were walking around San Jose for the last time, we reflected on just how fast this experience has been going by. We sat in Spoon, a cute little cafe right on Avenida Central where we got some awesome food (and I got a Nutella Milkshake - que rico!). I remembered that we had 39 days left. It was the second to last day that we would be in San Jose (for at least the next 3.5 weeks), and then I remembered that on my second day in Costa Rica, I had eaten there, too. It was kind of ironic in the fact that I was there in the same place on my second day in San Jose and on then on the second to last day in San Jose. And since I'm being reflective, I wanted to pull something from a previous journal from July, when I had 38 days until I left for Costa Rica:
18 July 2009:
"Progress means not just changing, but changing for the better." - C.S.L.
In light of the short amount of time before I leave, I have been mentally preparing myself to be productive. Now, I know that sounds a bit ridiculous - mentally preparing for physical productivity. But given the lazy state of mind as of late (rather, the past 3 months), I think it's a good step towards change...
....I'm not usually one to put my life out there, but I figured I'd start a little blog about Costa Rica (and the days leading up to my departure). And with that, I figured it'd be inevitable that you hear some of my struggles. Some of you may know me very well, some of you not so much. If we are close, then you know that I am a devote introvert in the way that I internalize a lot of thoughts.. but there are many of them. I only reveal those deep thoughts to a select few. So, it is a bit strange writing all of this out, but if you were sitting across from me and we were out say, at Jitters, I wouldn't have a problem telling you all of this, whether we were close or not. If I feel like you could benefit from this, then I would whole-heartedly share my experience with you.
And in that way, I hope that I have been honest and real with you all, both encouraging and challenging you in whatever aspect of your life you need.
In light of Lewis' quote, "Progress means not just changing, but changing for the better," I feel like I have progressed, especially as far as my global awareness goes. I've learned far more about our government here than I ever did in the US. I have also progressed a bit in my independence - I've done a lot of things here that I never have done in the US. My mind is a bit more resolute and determined. But in many ways, I have digressed, and if you want to know in what ways, I'd be happy to chat about it. After all, I am human. There are always things to work on.
Last night, my friend Amy and I watched one of my favorite movies, "Paradise Now" - and watching it for a second or third time, I was amazed at the similarities between the Israel-West Bank struggle and the things that I have seen in Latin America. It is a completely different world, of course, but the sights and scenery in the movie muchly resembled that of Latin America. I cannot fully articulate how the two correlate, but believe me, if you watched the movie, and you studied abroad here, you'd understand much more clearly. The movie, too, had a lot to say about violence and peace and the struggle to reconcile to two. It resonated a lot with me, too, because we just had an intense charla (guest-speaker/chat) with a man named Alex Grant, who showed us a documentary ("Why We Fight") exploring the imperial nature of the United States and why it is that we have been involved in so many wars - not even on our land. Needless to say, a lot has been on my mind regarding this.
Now, let's switch gears. I want to show some more photos of my Costa Rican life. It might seem like an abrupt change, but thats okay. Such is life.
Walking down to Amy's bus stop (la parada), there's the Post Office.
The Post Office is my favorite building in all of San Jose. Especially at sunset.
Typical day in San Jose, just walking around with hundreds of other people.
This is El Teatro Nacional (The National Theatre) which is in the center of San Jose. This was always the default place to meet each other. ("Oh, we have to go to Curridabat? Let's meet in front of El Teatro Nacional at 11.")
Typical day in central San Jose: a clown, his dog, and a crowd. This is almost right in front of El Teatro Nacional, a little to the right.
I've been writing a lot lately, for whatever reason. I don't know when I'll have a chance to update my blog or stay in contact with you all. I don't have internet access at my house, but I am told there are lots of Internet cafes and internet access at the school that I will be working at. Let the adventure begin!!
Blessings, my friends.

0 thoughts:
Post a Comment