BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

04 November 2009

I am now 'Ticher' Megan.

Well, kids, I've survived the week. And yet again, God has poured out his bounty and I've been given a life more wonderful here in San Pedro de Poas than I could have imagined. We (Alyssa, Destry, and I) arrived here on Monday morning at 7:25 am.. that means we were at the bus station in San Jose at 6 am; the ride was a lot shorter than we anticipated. With all of our bags, we walked and sat in the main plaza, waiting for our new host parents to pick us up.

As it would happen, my new 'mami' had mistakingly made vacation plans and was going to be in Guanacaste (at the beach) until the next evening, so my neighbor, Liliana (also my 'tia' and Destry's host mom), took care of me for the next couple of days. And finally on Tuesday evening, I met my new host mami, Pilar, and she is a radiant and genuine woman.

Each day this week, I have worked at the local school with a wonderful teacher, Maria Mercedes Solano Cabezas. She is nearly fluent in English and has kindly taken me under her wings for the next 2.5 weeks. Working with her has taught me a lot about the educational system in Costa Rica, and also just about the culture in general. The fact that I am learning so much from her is probably due to the fact that she speaks to me in English 95% of the time, but all the same, I find it fascinating to be able to be a part of her life and interact with the crazy little kiddies of the 3rd and 4th grade. One day in between classes, when we had an hour for lunch, she took me out to a cute restaurant within walking distance of the school (and the school is within walking distance of my house). We had delicious milkshakes and food - and what is more, she paid for it. I didn't even know how to express my thanks! Already this week, she has bought me drinks at the school and she brought me a donut the other morning. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to get to know this woman and I can't even fully express how much I appreciate her openness and willingness to have me follow her around like a shadow. I am excited to see what will transcend in the weeks to come. It can only get better.

More later, kiddos. I'm blogged out for now. Peace out.

Destry (or as her kindergarteners renamed her, "Astrid,") and me on our first day, passing the time in el centro.


The sweet green Catholic church in the center of town.
The view of my 'yard'.
You can see my 'aunt's' house to the right, with the turquoise/teal pillar. My friend (and now 'cousin', Destry, lives there)
More of the view. And laundry.
This photo does absolutely no justice to the beauty of this view.
I had coffee and did some journaling at that table this morning.
I have my own room - complete with TV (that I never watch) and an incredibly comfortable bed.
Mi casa! It's huge inside comparatively to the other places that I have lived here.
My favorite room in the house, the kitchen. The light in the morning is beautiful.
My view while eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Mas de la cocina!


And on Thursday night, we went to my cousin, Allan's, confirmation at the big green Catholic church in town. A lot of standing up and sitting down was involved. Just do as they do.
Me, Allan, and Destry after his confirmation. Que una familia linda!

Destry, Ana, y yo at the Market, drinking 'pipas'.. just like coconuts.
Que deliciosa!

0 thoughts: