BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

19 November 2009

time for a little update..

So, I must apologize. I didn't realize that I haven't updated this thing in... many days. I suppose I have just been so caught up in my life here that I just didn't think to update you all about it. And I must admit, it has been quite lovely! Teaching the kids, rather, watching them while the other teacher is busy and writing things on the board, gets a bit tiring. They are so lovely, but for such little things, they make so much noise - and that just hurts my head. But I cannot begin to tell you how rewarding it is to be able to converse and understand the little ramblings of these 3rd and 4th graders. They are precious. For the past 2-3 weeks, they have continually given me notes, hugs, and kisses on the cheek. Most times, as I walk into the school, I am bombarded by a group of little girls as they rush to hug me. "Hola Teacher (tee-chaiirr) Megan (May-gun)!" I love it. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Here are just some of the notes that I have received. These little things are what keep me going:


This one's my favorite: "I love you a lot and you are very pretty. I hope that, some day, you come to be a teacher here and I hope that you are ours."





This one is also one of my favorites. One day in class, as the other teacher, Maria Mercedes, was giving oral exams outside of the classroom, one kid at a time, I sat at the desk reading (for homework) while also keeping an eye on the kiddos. I did not feel like reading that day, so I just drew. One kid (whose name escapes me right now) came up and noticed that I was drawing. He also likes to draw and kept saying, "Que chiva!" (how cool!) and asked me to teach him how to do it. Instead of actually teaching him, I just kept drawing and he went back to his desk to try to draw it. He came up about two or three other times to see how I was drawing it and he would ask me how I did this or how I did that.. and at the end of class, he handed me this. And I there aren't enough words to express how much I love it.


They also LOVE to give me stickers. All of the time. And now I cannot see the front of my Spanish-English dictionary (it was the only place I could have put them without losing them). Thanks, Rachel, for letting me borrow your dictionary. I shall buy you a new one, I promise - unless you want this one..
And the stickers are quickly piling up on the back as well...

I suppose the best way for me to update you on my life and all of the other activities I've been doing is, of course, through photos. What better way to show you my life than through photos?
Last Saturday, my host-mom and brother took Destry and me to the Bird Zoo in Alejuela, about a half an hour from our house. Destry decided to be like the renegade peacock.
There were also reptiles, like little baby tortugas (turtles). This literally says "Turtle Kindergarten" (or Kindergarten of Turtles). And that's my host-mom, Pilar, checkin' out the little guys.
Destry was always a few steps behind...
Hey, loro, what's up?
One day, there was a thick fog that just swept through the area.

Also one day, we had a part for my host-mom's 5-year-old grandson, Luis. This was after he hit the pinata and all of the kids.. adults included, dove to the ground to retrieve as much candy as they could get.
Pinata time!
The birthday boy, Luis, and his cousin, Tuti (and yes, her name is Tuti, how cute!)
La familia!
So, one day on our way back from a failed visit to the volcano (too dark and cloudy), our car broke down. I was a bit overwhelmed..
...and Destry was a little sad and distraught.

Waiting on the side of the road for... rescue?
Before our car broke down, we took a detour to a little store/restaurant for some hot chocolate and random photo-taking. Here are my 'cousins', Ana (16) and Alejandra (19). We had fun this day.

Family photo!


One night, the sky was gorgeous. And that's my house in the corner..

Oh, and one day, Destry and I went to to University of Costa Rica with my cousin (Destry's host-sister), Alejandra (Ale). After a long day of classes, we went to the Mall San Pedro.. where I decided to get my 11th piercing. (Sorry if it's kind of abrupt and gross-looking..)
As you can see from the reflection in the mirror, Ale wasn't too fond of the idea, but she helped me communicate what it was I wanted done. The guy was pretty chill, too.

And there it is folks, my $17.00 piercing. Different, but I love it.

Peace & love, amigos.

0 thoughts: